METROPOLITAN PANTELEIMON OF TYROLOË AND SERENTION
Metropolitan of Tyroloë and Serention (1977-)
Metropolitan of Tyanon (1974-1977)
Date of Consecration:
June 9, 1974
Date of Ordination to the Priesthood:
Date of Ordination to the Diaconate:
Date of Birth:
Books by Metropolitan Panteleimon Published by ORI:
Eminence Metropolitan Panteleimon of Tyroloe, Exarch of Thrace, was born in 1929, where he received his elementary and secondary education. He studied Theology at the University of Athens. He was ordained Deacon in 1952 and Presbyter in 1954. He did his post graduate studies in Theology at the Universities of London and Oxford (1954-1957) and Frankfurt (1957-58).
He returned to Greece and was appointed Chancellor of the Metropolis of Thessaloniki and Dean of the Aghia Sophia Cathedral. In 1958, he became professor at the Theological School of the University of Athens and in 1960 a fellow of the Theological School of the University of Thessaloniki. While a lecturer at the University of Thessaloniki he was given the Deanship of Hellenic College and the Theological School of Holy Cross in Boston (1963-1966).
In 1968, he was elected professor of Canon Law and Pastoral Theology at the Theological School of the University of Thessaloniki. He has been a member of the University of Thessaloniki Senate (1976-1977) and Dean of the Theological School (1977-1978). Unanimously elected by the tenured professors of the same University, he served as vice Dean and Dean during 1981-1983. In addition to his position as professor of the University of Thessaloniki, he assumed the deanship of the Theological School of St. John Damascene, both in Lebanon (1972-1975) and in Thessaloniki (1975-1979) where the school had relocated due to the war in Lebanon.
In 1974, he was elected Metropolitan of Tyanon, and was transferred later (1977) to the Metropolis of Tyroloe and Serention. He was sent to Rome by the Ecumenical Patriarchate as observer to the Second Vatican Council (1964), and has been a member of the Central Coinmittee of the World Council of Churches, of the National Council of Churches in the USA and has participated in numerous interchurch conferences. He has been Vice President (1978-1983) and President of the International Council for Justice of the Eastern Orthodox Churches in Vienna (1983-1991) and President of the Administrative Council of the Patriarchal Center of Patristic Studies at the Sacred Patriarchal and Stavropegial Monastery of Vlatadon (1985-1989). Since 1991, he has been the honorary President of the Council for Justice of the Eastern Orthodox Churches; Orthodox co-chair of the Mixed Committee for theological dialogue between the Orthodox and the International Council of Reformed Churches; President of the organizing committee of the annual Demetria scientific symposia, on the topic of "Christian Thessaloniki"; hegoumen of the Sacred Patriarchal and Stavropegial Monastery of Vlatadon; vice president of the Patriarchal Center of Patristic Studies located at the Monastery and honorary member of the Administrative Council of the Pro-Oriente Institute in Vienna.